Habits, Perceived Affordances, and Interrupted Causal Contingencies

D asked me to fix the toilet. The chain that allows the handle outside to tank to raise the flapper within the tank (the toilet's epiglottis) had become detached, and she couldn't figure out how to reattach it. I sat down to examine the internals of toilet tank, closed the valve on the water supply line, and placed my hands into the tank water.

"Eeh! Gosh, that's cold!" I exclaimed.

"Well," D said, "you already thought to close the valve on the water supply line. Why don't you flush the remaining water out of the toilet tank?"

Right! Yes! That's what I ...almost did? Why didn't I do that? I depressed the lever handle, ...

And the toilet didn't flush because the chain that allows the lever handle outside the tank to raise the flapper had become detached. That's the thing that I was trying to fix, remember? Pretty funny.

Or, no, probably not funny, but maybe it's the sort of thing I could write a post about? Yes! Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment