Traditional Set List

Three times now I've been a folk musician for folk dances, and I've even made some money. It's pretty cool. Here are some songs in my repertoire that my bandmates also knew, and which can either be cast into an A section and B section, each sixteen bars, or which are nice slow unstructured waltzes that don't need a caller.

* Angeline The Baker

* Ashokan Farewell - Jay Ungar

* Bill Sullivan's Polka

* Goin' Down To Cairo

* Golden Slippers

* Harvest Home

* Hull's Victory

* John Ryan's Polka

* La Bastringue

* Liberty

* Nail That Catfish To A Tree

* Nonesuch

* Oh! Susanna

* Old Joe Clark

* Over The Waterfall

* Red Haired Boy

* Soldier's Joy

* St. Anne's Reel

* Swallowtail Jig

* The Ash Grove

* The Britches Full Of Stitches

* The Irish Washerwoman

* The Kesh Jig

* The Log Driver's Waltz - Wade Hemsworth

* The Lover's Waltz - Jay Unger and Molly Mason

* The Mason's Apron

* The Red Haired Boy

* The Tennessee Waltz

* The Yellow Rose Of Texas

* Whiskey Before Breakfast

* Zemer Atik (Nigun Atik)

It's kind of weird to me how this list is becoming its own genre in my mind. Like, there are many, many more folk and traditional songs I know, but I don't know how well they work at dances.

Here are a few folk and traditional songs that I like a lot and hope could be made to work for dances, but I don't know.

* 500 Miles - Hedy West

* A Drop of Nelson's Blood (Roll The Old Chariot Along)

* A La Claire Fontaine

* Abide With Me

* All For Me Grog

* Angel from Montgomery – John Prine

* Barrett's Privateers - Stan Rogers

* Black Is The Colour

* Blow the Man Down

* Bonny At Morn

* Buy Broom Buzzems

* Ca' The Yowes

* Changes – Phil Ochs

* Cherry Ripe

* City of New Orleans – Steve Goodman

* Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies

* Cripple Creek

* Don't Think Twice – Bob Dylan

* Down By Blackwaterside

* Down By The Salley Gardens

* Early One Morning

* Gentle On My Mind – John Hartford

* Go 'Way From My Window

* Goober Peas

* Greensleeves

* House of the Rising Sun

* I Am A Poor Wayfaring Stranger

* I Bought Me A Cat

* I Gave My Love A Cherry

* I Wonder As I Wander

* If I  Needed You – Townes Van Zandt

* If I Had a Hammer – Pete Seeger

* My Heart's In The Highlands

* My Rifle, My Pony, and Me - Dimitri Tiomkin

* Northwest Passage - Stan Rogers

* Oh My Darling, Clementine

* Old Rosin, The Beau

* Paradise – John Prine

* Red River Valley

* Reynardine

* Scarborough Fair

* She Moved Through The Fair

* Someday Soon – Ian and Sylvia

* South Australia

* Spanish Ladies

* Star Of The County Down

* Tam Lin

* The Blackfly Song - Wade Hemsworth

* The Bonny Boy Is Lang Lang A-Growin / The Trees They Do Grow High

* The Cliffs of Old Tynemouth

* The Dutchman - Steve Goodman

* The Hills Of Connemara

* The Holy Ground

* The Idiot - Stan Rogers

* The Mary Ellen Carter - Stan Rogers

* The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band

* The Rare Old Mountain Dew

* The Water is Wide

* Tim Finnegan's Wake

* To the Begging I Will Go - Ewan MacColl

* V'la L'Bon Vent

* Way Up On Clinch Mountain (Rye Whiskey)

* When I'm Gone - Phil Ochs

* Wild Mountain Thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment